What is spooning?
Spooning is an extended, horizontal hug with your partner. One partner takes on the “little spoon” position, facing away from the other partner, while the other partner is wrapping them as the “big spoon.” Just like in a cutlery drawer, one spoon fits right with the other.
What are the health benefits of spooning?
Beyond being an expression of love, protection and companionship, a growing body of research suggests that spooning has significant health benefits. Spooning is associated with health benefits such as:
- Increased “feel good” hormones. Dopamine and serotonin and oxytocin were all linked with cuddling and physical intimacy.
- Strengthened immune system. The boost in oxytocin influences the T-regulatory cells and your immune system.
- Lower blood pressure. The heightened levels of hormones were proven to reduce blood pressure.
- Better sleep. Spooning can help people sleep better. While the mechanism is not yet fully understood, there is some promising research about oxytocin and sleep health, especially for people with apnea.
Tips for spooning properly
- Try spooning naked, it’s healthier and more fun.
- Treat yourself to breathable, moisture-wicking bedding. Our favorite fabric is made of 100% bamboo lyocell cleanbamboo™ because of its temperature regulating and moisture-wicking properties.
- Practice synchronized breathing exercises with your partner. It can deepen your relationship too.
- Take your clothes off – here are 5 reasons for sleeping naked.
- Watch this video guide –
This sleep health article is part of our Sleep Awareness Week series, be sure to check our Instagram – @ettitudestore – for special announcements and giveaways. Check out our giveaway related to this post, the eye love you sleep mask set.