Winding down after a long day can be tough when your mind has been moving a mile a minute. This bedtime tonic recipe from Summer Sanders—co-founder of Local Juicery and author of new book Love Your Body Feed Your Soul—combines tea, herbs and adaptogens in a healthy, nourishing and warm pre-bedtime drink.
Summer Sanders’ Bedtime Tonic Recipe
12 ounces hot brewed chamomile tea
1 teaspoon of raw Manuka honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ashwagandha
1/4 teaspoon schisandra
pinch of nutmeg
2 teaspoon coconut oil
How to: Simply blend all ingredients together in an electric blender, enjoy one hour before bedtime.
- Chamomile is a widely known herb that soothes and relaxes the nervous system.
- Manuka honey can support the production of melatonin while providing glycogen for your liver. This helps your adrenal glands relax and stop pumping adrenaline that can wake you in the middle of the night.
- Cinnamon balances your blood sugar. When blood sugar is out of whack, sleep is too.
- Ashwagandha is an adaptogen that can support the body to let go of stress and anxiety. It’s been used to treat insomnia and other sleep disorders.
- Schisandra helps support disturbed sleep, anxiety, and to encourage restorative sleep. It’s a lovely berry that has many healing properties.
- Nutmeg has a calming effect and is used by many ancient cultures to support restful sleep.